Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Volunteering woes

Sad title, isn't it?



For the past two days, I've been volunteering at a bike shop which repairs and sells bikes at a huge discount to low-income or otherwise in-need residents of Burlington.  Yesterday I cleaned up some wheels, replaced a brake cable, calibrated brakes, changed a flat, and interacted with customers.

Today I moved boxes of parts around and then superglued washers and screws and things to the outsides of their respective little drawers in a cabinet.

For four and a half hours.
 

Really?

I'm only home for two weeks and I wanted to learn about how bikes work so when I spend my days commuting by bike in San Francisco and something explodes, I can fix it.  It's not like I volunteered at the screw-gluing shop.

I feel bad complaining because someone has to do it.  It would suck to be one of the two guys whose full-time job this is and have to put tiny metal objects in boxes with ones that look similar.  On the other hand, one of those guys didn't explain the job to me at all and I ended up supergluing a bunch of unnecessary things, a situation which I have to undo tomorrow, somehow.  I'm already bored.  I want to use a spoke wrench, dammit!

No comments:

Post a Comment